Years ago, I was sitting in my living room watching TV when I noticed something. There were no news articles or TV shows about a guy sitting in his living room watching TV! Every thing was about people doing things. People who were interacting with society in some way. Action movies were full of explosions but had interaction with others in a sometimes violent way. Dramas were full of dramatic and often unrealistic interactions. Each genre of movie or television show was ultimately about interactions! (Kudos to Tom Hanks for showing us interaction with Wilson the ball in Castaway.) Even the news, which is about “real life” everything is about people who were actively doing things! It ranged from having a car wreck to murdering someone to giving money to a charity to designing a new widget, but they were all doing something. It was at that point in life that I decided not to be a hermit living my life in obscurity. Sure I still spend time alone; remember my goal to read 50 books this year?
It doesn’t matter what you are doing, just get out there and do something!
Here are some ideas that range from one day get off the couch kind of things to life long commitment stuff:
- Start a walking club
- Read to kid in the library
- Learn to dance
- Start a blog
- Take a class in something you always wanted to learn
- Start a garden
- Paint your house
- Plant trees
- Train a dog
- Offer to mow a neighbor’s yard
- Go camping
- Hike a trail
- Go horseback riding
- Have a yard sale
- Learn a foreign language
- Plan a trip to another country
- Get a part time job doing something way out of your field and learn everything you can.
- Write a book
- Volunteer at a hospital/school/nursing home/church/soup kitchen…
- Restore an old house
- Start a new business that your area needs
- Start a neighborhood watch group.
- Tutor at risk kids
- Get your GED
- Finish that college degree you started long ago
- Set your own reading challenge
- Babysit for a young couple so they can have a night out together without the kids
- Adopt a kid
- Visit an art museum or art gallery
- Adopt a grandparent
- Go berry picking
- Take a bike ride
- Train for a marathon (or a 5K)
- Join a local recreation league sports team.
- Feed the birds in the park (Make sure this is legal in your municipality first.)
- Try your hand at the arts: Paint, sculpt etc…
- Go to a war re-enactment
- Visit a history museum
I am sure you can come up with many more things to do in your area, but I hope that got your mind moving so that you can get your body moving! Have fun! What are you going to do first?
Books By Burl Walker
Top Startstuff Commenters
- Be the first to comment.